O projecto Debian completou a RC1 do instalador do Lenny, o qual melhorou o seu suporte a dispositivos baseados em arquitectura ARM, e ainda tornaram a sua instalação via LiveCD, mais rápida.
O lançamento do Lenny estava marcado para Setembro mas sofreu algum atraso, em todo o caso a versão 5.0 do Debian GNU/Linux deverá estar aí ainda este mês.
Mais detalhes aqui, na página da Debian.
announcement was made on the Debian developer’s list by Otavio
Salvador, who maintains apt, grub, mtd-utils, squashfs, and a host of
other important packages for the project. In his announcement, Salvador
called out the following improvements, compared to earlier releases of
the Debian installer:
* Improved support for Live-CD installation media (much faster and more reliable than earlier releases)
* Support for some NAS devices based on Marvell’s ARM-compatible Orion chip:
o QNAP TS-109/TS-209 and TS-409
o HP Media Vault mv2120
o Buffalo Kurobox Pro
* Installer images for Netwinder have been added again (ed. note: [!!])
* Installer images for i386 Xen guests
* Support for hardware speech synthesis (speakup) has been added
* Upgrade of packages early in pkgsel, for example to get available security updates for base system packages
* Support for loading firmware from (removable) media during the installation
* i386/amd64: support for installing to and loading firmware from MMC/SD cards
* New translations: Welsh, Irish, Northern Sami, Serbian (Amharic and Marathi were added in beta releases)
Remaining issues, according to Salvador, include:
* i386: for this release, installation from floppy disk is not supported
* PowerPC: the graphical installer should work on almost all systems with ATI graphics cards, but probably not others
* touchpads should work with the graphical installer, but support may
be suboptimal – if you experience problems, you should use an external
Powered by ScribeFire.